I started out a couple weeks ago with the Ladies Version of “What Not to Wear – Business School Edition”, since they I have taken vacation, and tried to catch up on life in general. I’ve been absent, but I’m back now and I would like to share with you the Men’s version — let’s jump right in:
Since I’m not a guy, I asked some of my co-workers what pet-peeves they have about how men dress. It’s not an extensive list, but it’s a start!
- Don’t unbutton too many buttons; sometimes that’s a bit too casual
- Don’t wear bright white socks with your black dress shoes
- Don’t chew gum
- Don’t wear a shirt with a curled collar- it looks unprofessional
- Don’t show up unshaven
- Do make sure your shoes match your belt
- Do cover your tattoos for job interviews, it just looks more professional
- Do wear clothes that fit. People will notice if something is way too tight or if you are drowning in a suit. Pay to have it tailored, it’s worth it.
- Do ensure your tie is the appropriate length – just touching the tip of the belt buckle
- Do ensure your shirt is wrinkle-free by ironing it or steaming it